Superfood Holiday Truffles | by Scents of Awe & Super Food Super Life
Alexa from Super Food Super Life
Handcrafting chocolate, listening to jazz, reading Jung’s Red Book, talking health, and sharing stories is a dream holiday scene. This past weekend I had the pleasure of doing all of these things with a soul sister and woman I admire deeply, Paula Ferraro, maker behind Scents of Awe. Paula is seriously a one-of-a-kind woman who treats all living things with compassion, celebrates the heart and spirit of what’s in front of her, and adds to the beauty around us in completely natural ways.
She handcrafts beautiful skin care and food products, and has a passion for researching the science and benefits behind all that she shares. It’s an honor to share one of her out of this world recipes and wisdom. She is such a gift and definitely one of the people I am most grateful for this holiday season.
Paula from Scents of Awe
Creating chocolate is a special process that feels really unique. It’s nice to follow a recipe, but once you get comfortable, it's beautiful to craft a treat that comes from your heart. Your signature chocolate becomes a piece of living poetry. It is very fun, meditative, inspiring, and truly endless with what you can do with it. This soul dessert is universally loved, activates your bliss molecules, and is a great thing to have on hand at all times during the holidays. It can serve as a functional wellness food that tastes amazing.
I love eating chocolate for breakfast. Usually I wake up, make a tonic tea latte with a piece of chocolate, just to get going for the first couple of hours. Then I would eat something like this chia chocolate truffle, it’s like a little breakfast bar and a perfect boost to eat throughout the day. It’s totally guilt-less and I feel very comfortable giving it to my daughter. It’s one of my favorite things to feed her because of all the medicinal factors.
Gluten Free / Low in Sugar / No cacao butter
This recipe is a quick one you can throw together. You can also save this and melt it down for drizzling over ice cream or yogurt. It’s a universal mixture, but you don’t have to heat it. You can even do it outside in the sun to make it a solar chocolate mix, perfect to make when you’re camping. I love to take chia seeds and hydrate them with cashew milk, and add them to the mixture. We also added in turmeric extract (98% curcumin), for extra potent anti-inflammatory benefits.
A new product I am launching today is a blend of MCT Oil infused with high quality botanical oils and herbs. In this truffle we used the lovers blend, which contains ginger, vanilla, nutmeg, jasmine, rose otto, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, vitamin b complex, and MCT oil.
CHIA CASHEW PUDDING
1 cup of cashews
1 cup of chia seeds
1. Rinse or Soak cashews overnight and rinse in the morning
2. Blend 1 cup of cashews with five cups of spring water
3. Use a nut milk bag to drain (optional step)
4. Combine 1 cup of milk with 1 cup of chia seeds
5. Stir mixture gently until all the seeds are covered with milk.
7. Stir every couple of minutes and let sit until chia has soaked up the milk and turned into the perfect pudding (aprox 15 minutes).
2 cups cashew chia pudding
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 teaspoon of turmeric
2 cup coconut oil (liquefied)
2 vanilla bean pods (seeds scraped)
20 drops of vanilla stevia (alcohol free)
3 tablespoon of raw honey
2 tablespoons of lover’s blend (optional)
2 cups of cacao
1 tablespoon lucuma powder
1 tablespoon ceylon cinnamon
1. Put coconut oil in a bowl.
2. Add vanilla bean seeds and blend until smooth.
3. Mix in the stevia, honey, and lover’s oil.
4. Add super foods, lucuma and cinnamon.
5. Blend with a spoon until it is smooth.
6. Freeze for a few minutes (5-10 minutes) to harden.
7. Pull out and add hydrated chia.
8. Stir well and put back in the fridge
9. Wait another 15 minutes and then pull out.
10. The chocolate should be firm, but soft, just like the inside of a truffle.
11. With you hands roll them into balls, dust them with cacao or any other superfoods.
12. Eat right away or save in the fridge for your next holiday party or snack.